Backstory and Day 1.

Bare with me as I am not a writer, instead a mom and a newly laid off dental professional due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Yesterday I reported to my morning huddle at work and was completely blindsided with the startling information that we were closing our doors due to the viral pandemic. I should not haven been so shocked as school had already been closed for the next 4 weeks and several other businesses in our community had started taking the steps of caution in limiting hours or closing as well.

I am, sort of, still in some kind of denial. Is this really happening? How long could this actually go on? How many people will be affected? I do know the answer to that question, everyone.

These are uncharted waters. I understand that what we are experiencing right now is history. My goal, with this blog, is to have memory of the history that is being made. Someday I hope to have grandkids that can share with their grandkids what we are now experiencing...at least in my house!

I am a dental assistant of 15 years. I am married and have 3 children. My oldest daughter is 11, youngest daughter is 7, and my son is 3. As I mentioned I am not a writer and will make countless mistakes in this blog. My girls attend a public school in the same town that I work. My son attends an in home daycare there as well.

I, 3 days ago, realized that it was time to go to the grocery store.  My husband reminded me that with schools closing the stores will be packed and shelves empty. I decided Monday morning I'd be there at 7 am when the doors open. I couldnt believe how many people flooded our local grocery store. Living in the country we don't drink our well water due to the metallic taste it possesses. Limit of 4 jugs of water.  Well, that would last less than a week. I decided multiple trips would be the best option. I am embarrassed to say I went to the store 3 times on Monday and still forgot a few items. A 4th trip on Tuesday had my freezers, refrigerators, and cupboards full.

Day 1.

Waking up this morning my first concern is getting a paycheck. I've never been laid off before so unemployment is very unfamiliar. I'm so grateful that my government has stepped in to help me through this.
Step 1 done and like clockwork my 3 year old son has risen and needs potty attention!
Soon after my middle child is up and at them. Not long after... chaos. It is very apparent that a little structure will go a long way in this house. I have recieved a text from my mother with a "COVID-19 daily schedule" attached. GENIUS!

My oldest child fits the mother hen character to the tee. She has responded so well to this schedule the chaos has abruptly stopped. I can't say I know anything about being a teacher, however with talk of school remaining closed for the rest of the year some kind of education is necessary.

I Google 2nd/5th grade spelling and compile 3 weeks worth of spelling words. We are lucky enough to have math books from school in our school bags and a half hour of reading every day will be our schoolwork. Today recess in the garage because its raining and about 40 degrees.

My husband comes home from work and the stress and anxiety is written all over his face. Our economy is suffering and only will get worse. The death toll in our country is 140 today. Worldwide over 8,900. Total cases worldwide over 219,000. It's intense and rapidly increasing.  These steps now are attemps to slow down the spread of the virus.

Deep breaths as at points my anxiety is spinning out of control. Not because I have to mother my children, but because there are no answers to what the future holds for our community, our country, or our world. I pray that in a month I will be sitting back in my dental assistant chair thinking about how lucky we are! Time is the only thing that will tell! First now these are my COVID-19 memories.


Comments